[squeak-dev] MessageNames: clicking on class names

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Wed Mar 31 21:53:01 UTC 2010

On 31.03.2010, at 23:45, Ken Causey wrote:

> On Wed, 2010-03-31 at 22:52 +0200, Frank Shearar wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm not entirely sure how to contribute to the inbox. Well, I know
>> enough to commit a change to the inbox :) I mean the social process
>> aspect of things. So anyway, feel free to correct me on etiquette and
>> protocol.
>
> I have nothing to correct really, but I thought I would comment on the
> etiquette since you brought it up.  I may be overlooking something but
> the only things I would suggest for inbox committers is:
>
> 1. Update completely to current trunk before submitting to the inbox.
> This ensure that your submission's ancestor will be the most recent
> version in the trunk and is about the best you can do to make it easier
> on core developers to merge your changes.
>
> 2. Write a good comment.  Try to keep it terse but touch on the main
> points and if there is a Mantis issue, note the relevant issue
> number(s).
>
> 3. Another I've thought of which is purely optional but I think we
> should consider strongly suggesting is that you create an account at
> source.squeak.org and login before committing.  Certainly the repository
> is world-writable but submitting it with your account helps to ensure
> proper attribution and also gives us a point to ensure that submitters
> have agreed to the MIT licensing.
>
> Truthfully I would advocate requiring signing in, but this would require
> changes to SqueakSource to enforce I believe and may be considered an
> unnecessary hurdle.
>
> That's all I can think of at the moment anyway,
>
> Ken

I've been thinking about your third point too. The change necessary to the source server would not be too hard I think. But identifying uploaders would be helpful IMHO. It's also good for bragging, since only if you are logged in are commits counted for you :)

Does anyone think it would be too much of a burden to create an account?

- Bert -