[squeak-dev] [Documentation] Classes with class comment with size > 1000 chars

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun May 2 20:52:55 UTC 2010

Comment inline below.

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 1:25 PM, Michael Haupt <mhaupt at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Casey,
>
> On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Casey Ransberger
> <casey.obrien.r at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I'd actually recommend that we worry about documenting the tests after
> > documenting the classes they test for several reasons.
> >  - Tests are a form of documentation already. When I am looking for ways
> > use a class, and the class comment is insufficient, I'll often look at
> > whatever tests are available.
>
> I usually get nervous when people say code is documentation. That may
> be true for the experienced, for all others, it is not. So that's not
> a reason to postpone documenting tests in my opinion.

Hey, me too! But in the case of tests, I actually disagree. I'm not arguing
that we shouldn't document our test classes, but I will point out that *a
test is an example usage* and *examples are documentation.*

One thing I really enjoy, actually, is when a class comment says something
like "Please see the test cases in FooTests for some concrete examples."

This is totally off topic, but I think this is kind of cool (and totally
pink-plane thinking:)

http://cukes.info/

--
Casey Ransberger