[squeak-dev] The Trunk: System-dtl.325.mcz

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Sun May 2 23:25:50 UTC 2010

"Vast wasteland." Heh. When I first found myself looking perplexedly into a
Squeak image a couple years ago, I felt like an archeologist who'd
discovered the crash site of an alien space craft. On one hand, I had the
sense that I was looking at something (at least in terms of software) which
was very old, and on the other, like I was looking at something radically
advanced in ways I had no context for understanding.

I think I heard a talk in which Avi (who ironically, I think, may be your
"creator of Monticello" heh) referred to Smalltalk as "the monolith." That
comment really jived with what I had experienced when I first looked into
it, in addition to being a great funny reference to 2001: A Space Odyssey.

WRT your comments on the state of documentation in Monticello, "The moral of
the story is that if you can't explain how something works in clear
language,
then there is a pretty good chance that you don't know how it works.
And if you don't know how it works, then there is a pretty good chance
that it doesn't ;-)" --dtl

I worry a little that too few people in the community really grok MC, and it
is a rather large swath of undocumented code that we're only staking our
entire development model on. So I think maybe I will devote some time to
wading through it, learning what I can, and documenting things as I learn
them. Thank you for the suggestion.

--
Casey Ransberger