Method versions and browsing them (Re: [squeak-dev] The Trunk: ToolBuilder-Morphic-ul.59.mcz)

Tim Felgentreff tim at nada1.de
Mon May 3 07:16:06 UTC 2010

On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 20:40 +0200, Frank Shearar wrote:

> And I was pondering just that, actually: how to make Monticello
> git-like, or something like that. The thought's not well-formed. I don't
> mean turn Monticello into git or anything like that. I'd just like to be
> able to use a Squeak equivalent of, for instance, GitX or TortoiseGit,
> and be able to ask the repository questions - "Who touched this method?
> How did this class definition evolve?" And since mczs are immutable
> (*cough*) one could cache lots of this information.
>
> frank

Hi
It's not a proper solution, more of a crook, but I use my project
Gitocello for tracking Monticello repositories (commits are saved
structured by category into folders, commited with the Monticello
message and author to a local git repository).
I actually started this project to be able to easily share packages
between Squeak and Gnu Smalltalk, but I found that much of the tooling
git provides me with really helps when porting code to and fro (bisect,
blaming, seeing branches and merges, cherry-picking commits, seeing
commits which touch a particular class).

I would love to see Monticello tools evolve to include some of these
features. Personally, what I miss most right now is just being able to
see the minimal diff between two arbitrary versions of a package
(creating and mcd and browsing it seems to show me the complete
package).

Just me formulating dreams.

Regards,
Tim