[squeak-dev] <Method Tags> (Pragmas)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue May 4 21:07:13 UTC 2010

On 5/3/10, Eliot Miranda <eliot.miranda at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM, Travis Griggs <travisgriggs at gmail.com>wrote:
>> I didn't implement them originally,

> I came up with the idea and implemented it together with Steve Dahl for
> VisualWorks 30 where we first used them extensively for menu augmentation on
> package load.  So if you want someone to blame, blame me :)

When was that? (VW3.0)

According to Lukas Renggli <method tags> were introduced in Squeak
3.9, probably end of 2006 (see http://ftp.squeak.org/3.9/ ), to go
with the "modern world"...

However if you check out in the image they are not really used besides
for the primitives.

I would like to see a menu implementation and Preferences using them.
They might be useful for the HelpSystem (to tag methods of a certain
importance as 'entry points' for code reading for example).

--Hannes