[squeak-dev] Re: [ANN] WebClient and WebServer 1.0 for Squeak

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Wed May 5 06:22:01 UTC 2010

On 5/4/2010 11:11 PM, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Are you intent on replacing HTTPSocket in the long run? I have an
> RPC-ish thing that uses it, so I'd like to be clear on whether I can
> expect it to be around for the next release.

In the long run: Yes. In the next release: No. And "replacing" can mean
that the public interface in HTTPSocket remains. That's what the
WebClient-HTTP package does. It patches HTTPSocket to use WebClient
while preserving the identical external interface.

At this point, I'd just like people to try it out. Since you're doing
RPCish stuff, this sounds like just the thing WebClient and WebServer
were specifically designed for, so you might give it a shot. I think
you'll quickly learn to see the advantage of WebClient over HTTPSocket :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas