[squeak-dev] Monticello-based updates for Etoys

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Thu May 6 05:00:21 UTC 2010

On 01.05.2010, at 00:38, Casey Ransberger wrote:
> Sweet! 'Till All Are One!
>
> I'm installing Etoys 4 on my itsy-bitsy laptop. In spite of the fact that I think Etoys is really a great thing, I've not acquainted myself with it, as I was already splitting my time between Squeak and Pharo (I've hardly had a spare moment to look at VW!)
>
> Now that there's an easy way to see the diffs, I'm kind of interested to see what the delta is.
>
> On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 2:20 AM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:
>> On 30.04.2010, at 10:42, Hannes Hirzel wrote:
>> >
>> > I have downloaded the image. I like the many example projects which
>> > come with it.
>>
>> Hehe, and that's not even the *real* interface. To see that, from the world menu, choose "new morph...", "make link to project...", "Home". This creates a button that takes you to the home screen (I forgot to put one into the dev image, sorry).

Btw, there is now an updated etoys-dev version at

	http://etoys.squeak.org/download/

Besides having updates loaded, this now includes a thumbnail to jump to the home project, so it's closer to the "real" Etoys experience.

The dual changeset update stream / Monticello repository updates seem to work quite well. E.g., the 2373fixHome-bf.cs changeset relies on the updated Player compile methods, and 2374discardTranslations-bf.cs on a method for discarding the translations. So I posted the update-bf.2.mcm configuration to the update stream as 2372repo1080-bf.cs. This ensures that certain package versions are loaded.

I hope that's a good way to split the responsibilities - put code changes into Monticello, and do-its into the update stream ... best of both worlds :)

The "repository version" refers to the sum of package version in the loaded configuration. Etoys' SystemVersion now reports both, the highest update number and the repo version + date:

	etoys4.1 of 29 April 2010 update 2374 (repo v1082 of 4 May 2010)

Here is a page to easily see the update stream:

	http://squeakland.org/updates/

- Bert -