[squeak-dev] Cobalt VR Meetup follow up

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri May 7 01:45:24 UTC 2010

I'm not one for hosting parties. It may be the bachelor apartment and
nowhere for people to sit. I go out a lot. But with Cobalt I seem to be the
undisputed king and still reigning champion of Spaces. I hosted and had
people over to my Space hosted on MacBook Pro. I had 2-3 people over. And
more wanted to come in. It's not as though I had bouncers tossing them aside
for wearing sandals.

That's kind of the thing about Cobalt: you can't exactly know if you can
teleport to another person's space or if you have the capability to host
one. Honestly. There is no good reason that my Mac and my BellCanada
connection should be something people can reach. But it is. Other people
can't seem to host a Space. Sometimes people can't teleport in.

As you can see, Cobalt is a rolling process of experimentation. There's a
bit of voodoo here. Take the audio. It works. I can get close to an avatar
and start talking as though I'm on the phone, but then a delay will creep
in, and its very annoying. Enough so, that I'd rather switch to in text
chat.

By they way, I keep calling where we meet first IRC. It's not IRC, it's
Skype Chat. I've been calling it IRC and confusing people. We meet on Skype
Chat and then try to link spaces and have people teleport in.

All that carping aside, Cobalt is very fun. Going from one Space to another
with a gang of avatars is good fun. You see people teleport into my first
space, but I have a floating portal that allows us to literally flee to a
sunnier world full of green hills.

Since last month Cobalt has moved from release candiate 30 to rc32. The
Cobalt Google Group has gone from 48 to 87 members. The next Cobalt VR
Meetup is 3 June.

Chris