[squeak-dev] Can not load Aliens FFI in Squeak 4.1

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Fri May 7 09:06:40 UTC 2010

On 6 May 2010 19:50, Dmitry Matveev <dmm1989 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello Dave,
>
> Thank you for advice. This day I've spent trying to build the Squeak
> entirely from the svn using the VMMaker. It was a real pain.
>
> I've took the
> http://pharocasts.blogspot.com/2010/03/build-squeak-vm-on-linux.html podcast
> as tutorial.
> At first, I've tried to install the VMMaker from the SqueakSource in my
> current Squeak 4.1 image. It has failed to install (and now I cannot
> remember why).
> Then I've tried to install the VMMaker from the SqueakSource into the Pharo
> 1.0 image. It was successful, so I've run the VMMakerTool from there.
> It looked like the VMMaker has prepared the sources directory properly; I've
> replaced the appropriate directory from the svn version by the generated
> one, ran the configure and make, I've got the IA32ABI folder in my build
> directory with the cmake' makefiles (yeah!), but it did not helped :(
>
> The compiled VM still fails to execute my simple 'asAlien' code with the
> same error.

CMake having a way to disable a plugins (and do not install them),
even if sources is present.
Maybe this a reason, why you can't use alien primitives.

> My head is spinning. Could somebody produce a step-by-step scenario for the
> complete idiots like me how to get it all working right?

To make sure you are using a correct generated sources, created by your VMMaker,
but not those, which going from SVN repository, just do:

rm -rf platforms/unix/src

to get rid that source of confusion :)

--
Best regards,