[squeak-dev] Re: [Metacello] Fwd: Metacello questions

Dale Henrichs dale.henrichs at gemstone.com
Tue May 11 21:53:10 UTC 2010

----- "Andreas.Raab" <andreas.raab at gmail.com> wrote:

| 5) Bootstrapping Metacello?
|
| I found that most of the ConfigurationsOfXXX include some code to
| 'bootstrap' Metacello in some form. There appear to be variants on
| the
| code; is there a "canonical bootstrap method" that should be used?

There is a canonical bootstrap method that is documented here:

  http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/EnsureMetacello

But the best technique is to copy the class MetacelloConfigTemplate where all of the required methods are already implemented...

For more information see my answer to Question #6 below.

| 6) A standard Configuration template?
|
| The Metacello tutorial is very useful as far as the configuration
| goes
| but it falls short of getting into the details of what it means to
| provide a 'working' configuration. Testing the configuration isn't
| covered (is there a way to get back to a 'clean' state?);
| bootstrapping
| isn't covered; the meaning of #isMetacelloConfig,
| #metacelloVesion:loads:, #lastMetacelloVersionLoad and several other
| -seemingly random- methods that can be found on most -but not all- of
| the configurations. There is no indication on what these do, if
| they're
| required, recommended, or optional. Is there some 'standard'
| Configuration template that people can use to avoid guessing about
| which
| parts of the boilerplate to copy from some other configuration?

There is a FAQ on creating a new Metacello configuration:

 http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/FAQ#How_do_I_create_a_Metacello_Configuration?

but unfortunately the instructions are buried within a series of workspaces in ProfStef ... a Pharo-only package:(

I've just extracted the instructions and added the following link to the FAQ answer:

  http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/CreateMetacelloConfiguration

Hope this helps,

Dale