[squeak-dev] unsupported projects (was: DynamicBindings in 4.1)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Wed May 12 20:56:18 UTC 2010

Karl,

Thank you for bringing up this issue.

I understand that you mean that the Squeak 4.1 trunk is something like
the Linux kernel and Squeaksource and other Monticello repositories
like the Debian package catalogue. Then a 'distribution' is basically
a 'build script' which pulls various packages from the Monticello
repositories and loads them into the image. The person who builds the
distribution does integration tests and releases the image as a
'distribution'.

Damien Cassou has done this for developer images in the past for
Squeak 3.9 and 3.10 and seems to be still doing it for Pharo

http://damiencassou.seasidehosting.st/
(Click on the link 'Smalltalk', then on the link 'quite popular' and
you get to http://damiencassou.dabbledb.com/publish/dev-imagesdownloads
)

Actually we should encourage people to do this for various types of
images for Squeak 4.1.

The base image should stay fairly small but that does not mean that
people should not produce derived images which include a lot.

--Hannes

P.S. What we need are actually a collection of 'build scripts' (a kind
of series of apt-get commands in Debian language). However in our
context the way to go this days is to write a MetaCello configuration
class.

Then the user just has to load that class and execute
   ConfigurationOfMyReallyGoodSqueakEnvironment load

How to create a MetaCello configuration
http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/CreateMetacelloConfiguration

The MetaCello repository
http://www.squeaksource.com/MetacelloRepository