Bug reporting and normativity (Re: [squeak-dev] Re: [BUG]LimitedWriteStream(Object)>>doesNotUnderstand: #withStyleFor:do:)

Frank Shearar frank.shearar at angband.za.org
Thu May 13 09:28:13 UTC 2010

Thanks for putting the time into this response, Hernán.

I appreciate the wideness of the field we're touching on with the word
"normative" here.

Yes, forming norms is in a sense about power and about individuality (or
the lack thereof).

The point I think Andreas and Bert was trying to make by pointing you to
the essay is this: rather than being an appeal to authority for a bug
reporter to conform to some standard of behaviour, it's about decreasing
the amount of effort a package maintainer needs to expend to fix your
problem.

ESR's document is all about distributing the workload: you do as much
work as you can so that the package maintainer doesn't have to (and can
thus devote her time to making new features), and in the process you
learn more about the software, which can't hurt.

In this case, I am all for normative texts, for very practical reasons.

I'd love to see some of those references!

frank