[squeak-dev] file size limitations and Celeste for 4.1

jecel at merlintec.com jecel at merlintec.com
Thu May 13 17:00:04 UTC 2010

Yesterday, Celeste complained that my index and email files didn't match
and that I should "salvage and compact". As I watched it rebuild the files,
I noticed that the email file was just over 2GB, and so figured this might
be a file size limit I have seen in other Linux applications. After six
hours, Squeak had finished recreating the files but the result was even
worse (and the original files were now gone).

So I will now start over with an empty email database and decided I might
as well move from Squeak 3.9 to 4.1. Looking at squeaksource and at
SqueakMap I see these versions:

SqueakSource:

Network-Mail Reader-ls.17.mcz	 Lex Spoon	 2006-08-30 12:38:47
	 Network-Mail Reader-bp.14.mcz	 Bernhard Pieber	 2004-09-18 13:38:50
	 Network-Mail Reader-bp.8.mcz	 Bernhard Pieber	 2004-05-21 20:26:11

SqueakMap:

1-1.22 - 2-1.23 - The Celeste Email Client with an AddressBook3-1.24 - The
Celeste Email Client with an AddressBookWhere 3-1.24 is from 3 October 2004
2:47:19 pm. So I suppose that my best option is to get version 17 from
SqueakSource and then merge my own patches plus do any changes needed for
4.1 (the right way to share these is through Mantis, right?).

This will have to wait a little while, but I don't like the webmail
interface I am typing this on and so need to start this as soon as
possible.

-- Jecel