[squeak-dev] Community Supported Packages

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Sun May 16 08:17:52 UTC 2010

Hi!

A quick reply, I only skimmed your post and I need to be making breakfast :)

- It reminds me of the positive side of "Lunar Linux" a source distro.
In Lunar all "modules" are simply build scripts held in a CVS tree. So
all developers with a commit bit can add/modify/update the "universe" of
modules. The effects are numerous:
	- Very easy to contribute
	- Everyone has the same "picture" at the same time
	- You get an automatic "universe" effect, but even "over time", since
the repo evolves "hand in hand" with the base code base and the packages
also evolve hand in hand with their dependencies.

- Regarding having to trust code; Deltas are loaded first, and then
installed. IIRC Henrik Gedenryds module system implemented atomic
operation they were "swapped in place". Before the last step the classes
were "hanging on the side" again, IIRC.

- The various ideas (Metacello, Sake etc) that use/abuse the SCM tools
for maintaining meta information are both "neat" and "disturbing" at the
same time. :)

Anyway, I need to read your thoughts once more before giving proper
feedback.

regards, Göran