[squeak-dev] Re: Community Supported Packages

Sean P. DeNigris sean at clipperadams.com
Sun May 16 23:54:04 UTC 2010

Teleplacer wrote:

> there needs to be a fence that you gotta hop over before
> you can install these unsupported packages. The issue being that the one
> of the biggest complaints about the existing solutions (Universes and
> SqueakMap) are that between all of the unsupported (non-working) stuff
> it's too hard to find the pieces that do work.

Definitely, and could the status of these be automatically marked by the
testing server?  Maybe packages that lapse re the "supported" standard could
be bumped over the fence until they clean up their act, instead of
disappearing.

Teleplacer wrote:

> Really, I'd rather encourage you to have your SVI, KeyBinder,
> AppleScript as a *supported* packages because it means you're providing
> a conflict-free, tested set of packages that we can automatically test.

I definitely agreed ideally.  And, these are not my projects, I just shared
the porting I did during research for the community's benefit - adding
tests, etc. to get them up to standard is not likely; so an "unsupported but
easily available" status seems like a good balance.

Sean