[squeak-dev] Re: Metacello class >>#load ( was Re: unsupported projects )

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed May 19 01:02:38 UTC 2010

Igor,

Thanks!

It is looking like VMWare will be a good place for GemStone/S to have a
long life:)

Dale

Igor Stasenko wrote:

On 17 May 2010 22:15, Dale Henrichs
<dale.henrichs at gemstone.com><mailto:dale.henrichs at gemstone.com> wrote:

Andreas,

Certainly ... GemStone has been acquired VMWare and today is my first
day as a VMWare employee so things will be a little unsettled for the
next day or so, but I will get something to you as soon as the decks get
cleared...

Long live to G/S !! :)

Dale
----- "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de><mailto:andreas.raab at gmx.de>
wrote:

| Hi Dale -
|
| I completely understand your reasoning and I'm not criticizing it all.
| would've done just the same to get initial adoption (and it has worked
|
| very well for this purpose). But now that it's being adopted I think
| it's time to take it to the next level and fix the divergence if we
| can.
|
| So can I ask you to provide us with the current 'correct' current
| superclass implementation that we should use for the next set of
| experiments?
|
| Cheers,
|    - Andreas
|
| On 5/15/2010 10:53 AM, Dale Henrichs wrote:
| > Andreas,
| >
| > It _is_ the curse of not having a common superclass...but until
| Metacello is included in the base release, the curse would be getting
| the common superclass loaded BEFORE you can load any configurations.
| >
| > In the early versions of Metacello the configs were subclassed off
| of a common superclass, but bootstrapping was a complete pain, since
| you couldn't use Metacello to load itself.
| >
| > As it stands now, you can load any configuration into any image. If
| you create your configurations by copying MetacelloConfigTemplate
| (http://code.google.com/p/metacello/wiki/CreateMetacelloConfiguration)
| then you will get a config that has all of the "expected" methods,
| including #load on the class-side.
| >
| > To be clear...the only only reason that I don't use the common
| superclass model, is to make bootstrapping easy....If a
| MetacelloAbstractConfiguration class were included in the core image
| for Squeak, Pharo, and GemStone then we could migrate away from the
| current "self-contained" configurations.
| >
| > The class would be a clone of MetacelloConfigTemplate and existing
| configs could easily be converted to use the new superclass....
| >
| > The ensureMetacello logic would be included in the abstract
| superclass so it wouldn't be necessary to include the core
| implementation of Metacello in the base...
| >
| > I'm sure the Pharo folks would be in favor of this (as would I,
| speaking for GemStone)...
| >
| > Dale
| > ----- "Andreas
Raab"<andreas.raab at gmx.de><mailto:andreas.raab at gmx.de>  wrote:

| the
| the
| > | unknown.
| Pharo
| > | thing.
| > | #load,
| it's
| > | flawed.
| that
| > | had
| > |
| > | It's the curse of not having a common superclass. Various variants
| get
| > |
| > | created because there's no shared standard. I think the canonical
| form
| > |
| > | is actually this:
| > |
| > |   ConfigurationOfXXX project load.
| > |
| > | But I could be wrong; I'm no Metacello expert.
| > |