[squeak-dev] Config Browser for Metacello

Göran Krampe goran at krampe.se
Wed May 19 06:35:26 UTC 2010

Hi!

On 05/19/2010 07:44 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
> Feedback welcome! Patches even more :-)

I haven't even looked yet - BUT... I got reminded by a nice "feature" in
Lunar Linux's package management tools when you were discussing "default
groups" etc. Perhaps I misunderstood - but I guess its about "questions
to the user when installing stuff".

Earlier Installer introduced (Keith IIRC) some mechanism to provide
automatic answers to regular popup dialogs etc. A hack, but still.

In Lunar Linux each module (=package) has a defined *list* of "options"
with default answers. A typical such question is whether to install an
optional "nice package" - in fact, those questions may be automatically
derived from a list of "optional dependencies" - but whatever.

When you perform an installation of a module the dependency system
figures out the total list of packages to install - and then compiles a
*complete* list of questions for all modules that it *will* install and
then asks the user for their answers. Thus, when the install actually
begins after the questions have been answered it is fully automatic and
is nicely done "in the background".

This also has the nice side effect that the user can "bail out" in the
quesion phase if the user realizes that he/she does not know some of the
answers.

Have no idea if this was totally off subject. :)

regards, Göran