[squeak-dev] Re: Config Browser for Metacello

Dale Henrichs dhenrich at vmware.com
Wed May 19 16:16:50 UTC 2010

Andreas Raab wrote:
> On 5/18/2010 11:35 PM, Göran Krampe wrote:
>
>> On 05/19/2010 07:44 AM, Andreas Raab wrote:
>>
>>> Feedback welcome! Patches even more :-)
>>>
>> I haven't even looked yet - BUT... I got reminded by a nice "feature" in
>> Lunar Linux's package management tools when you were discussing "default
>> groups" etc. Perhaps I misunderstood - but I guess its about "questions
>> to the user when installing stuff".
>>

> It's a little off. What I was referring to is that in Metacello you can
> define 'groups' of packages. I think the intent is that such groups are
> like installation options, e.g., something like
>
> Installing Foo:
>    [x] Foo-Core (required group)
>    [ ] Foo-Tests (optional group - unit tests)
>    [ ] Foo-Help (optional group - documentation)
>
> The current Metacello definition is such that if it exists, the
> 'default' group is being installed. But that can only be a single group
> so in the case that I wanted to structure the above into three separate
> groups but by default have both Core and Tests selected I would have to
> create a separate default group for that. And that creates confusion
> because you can't really present that in a UI properly.
Andreas,

Not sure if this helps or not...

First off one can load more than one target. The #load: method can take
a string or a collection of strings, so if the groups 'default', 'Tests'
and 'Optional' exist one can specify #('default' 'Tests' 'Optional') as
the argument to the load ...

Secondly, metacello takes care of overlap and duplication internally
while resolving the list to a set of packages/projects, so you don't
have to create groups for all of the possible combinations of groups. In
the above you can just add the selected group to the load list...

Dale