[squeak-dev] Catching user interrupts

Ralph Boland rpboland at gmail.com
Thu May 20 22:10:59 UTC 2010

I would like to be able to catch a user interrupt or, if not possible,
some other user action like a key stroke or mouse action much like
one catches an Error.  Ideally my code would look something like:

[some code]  on:  Interrupt  do:  [process Interrupt].

Of course there is no class Interrupt and even if there was
my guess is that user interrupts are handled at a low enough
level that the above code wouldn't work anyway.
For example, for the code:

  [some code]  on:  Error  do:  [process Interrupt].

The user interrupt is generated while  "some code" is running
so the  "process Interrupt" code has no chance of running.

A simple question.  I'm guessing the answer is not so simple
and perhaps not so safe.

I hope others find this question interesting.

Regards,

Ralph Boland

--
Quantum Theory cannot save us from the tyranny of a deterministic
universe but it does give God something to do