[squeak-dev] Cross-fork Metacello configurations

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Fri May 21 17:22:52 UTC 2010

On 21.05.2010, at 18:14, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:

> I created a Squeak/Pharo SSpec, which puts the fork-specific world menu code
> into a Platform package.
>
> As I work on the config, I have come up against Pharo using Object as a
> subclass, but the Squeak Inbox requiring (because of the browser tool)
> MetacelloConfiguration.
>
> What would be the best/easiest way to deal with this?

If the systems require different configurations, then there should be different configurations.

> If the configs have to be forked, then Metacello really loses value (i.e.
> #squeak and #pharo).  And, I do a lot of work in both forks, so it would be
> a shame to pick one to upload to and not share work that has already been
> done with half the users.
>
> Thanks.
> Sean

Perhaps it indeed would be a good idea to not use ConfigurationOf* class names, as previously suggested. Using the same name implies re-usability, but these configurations are system specific. They are also quite small, re-using configurations is not that important. What *is* more important is that the configuration has actually been tested in Squeak, and not just been copied over from other places.

- Bert -