[squeak-dev] Re: Cross-fork Metacello configurations

Bernhard Pieber bernhard at pieber.com
Sat May 22 15:31:00 UTC 2010

Dear Squeakers,

I agree with Sean that the necessity to copy a configuration class from a cross-fork package ConfigurationOf... to the proposed Configuration package for Squeak makes life much more complicated and more work for those good fellows who care to create portable packages. IMHO that is a bad things for all forks. The ability to support cross-fork development is one of the greatest assets of Metacello. I see no reason not to use it.

The good news is that - as Sean already wrote - all the good things of Andreas proposal could work equally well even if we reused the cross-fork ConfigurationOf... packages. The fact that some core developer copies such a package to the trunk could mean it was tested with Squeak. The only difference would be having more packages in the Monticello Browser. (They could be hidden from there.)

IIUC one thing misses from Metacello right now to use it in the way Andreas envisions: A categorization for an installer UI like Andreas' ConfigBrowser. I am sure Dale could be convinced to add that to the metadata/API if cross-development configurations could continue to be supported.

Did I miss something?

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers,
Bernhard