[squeak-dev] Need someone to test if NBOpenGL works for you on win32

Igor Stasenko siguctua at gmail.com
Mon May 24 18:07:20 UTC 2010

On 24 May 2010 20:20, Kevin Kelley <kevin at kelleysoft.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 24 May 2010 09:03:24 -0500, Igor Stasenko <siguctua at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> i just snapshotted my stuff with various fixes, to make it load
>> cleanly on pharo and squeak images.
>>
>> I'd like you to ask to test and load it and tell me if it works for you.
>
> Beautiful!  Works exactly as you describe; I'm on an older Windows XP
> system,
> 2.2ghz Athlon, 512M ram, NVidia 6200 graphics card w/ 256MB.  The animation
> loop's
> running fast and smooth, and doesn't seem to be giving much cpu load.

Well, actually it does :)
I implemented it specifically to be embedded into a squeak's Display,
so i could run it
and see what happens, without any distortion/visual artifacts and keep
working while it runs.

First, it renders everything into offscreen surface, and then it reads
results from video memory
into a display form, and then DisplayScreen + VM takes care about
blitting that form back to video memory (or anywhere else it wants).

In case if we will replace all drawing by using GL, then we won't need
to blit bits back to system memory,
and then all processing will be completely performed by GPU. It will
be much faster.

You can see how much slowdown is introduced by blitting, if you resize
the morph to cover full screen.

> I'm using a fresh trunk image, running the VM listed in your install
> instructions.
>
> The second line of text starts with some cyrillic-looking characters; but in
> the Squeak system browser for GLViewportMorph>>drawOn: the string shows with
> question marks; so I guess that thing you're doing with the truetype code
> block
> might be working.

Yes, it works as i described (in other thread). I subclassed
TTFontReader to support reading character maps with pId=3,
allowing you to use all glyphs of windoze fonts.

--
Best regards,
Igor Stasenko AKA sig.