[squeak-dev] MCConfigurationBrowser

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue May 25 12:07:33 UTC 2010

On 25.05.2010, at 10:47, Hannes Hirzel wrote:

> Hello
>
> I wonder what is the use for the general programmer of the
>    MCConfigurationBrowser

To define groups of related MC packages and their load order.

> (Menu 'Tools')
>
> Is there some more documentation available in addition to
>   http://tweakproject.org/ABOUT/FAQ/MCConfigurationUpdates/.

There must be. Not sure where though. I guess much is shared knowledge gleaned from occasional explanations on the mailing list:

http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2005-November/098201.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2006-May/104343.html
http://lists.squeakfoundation.org/pipermail/squeak-dev/2008-September/131538.html

> It seems to be a tool to produce update streams...

Not quite, that's just one use of it. It's a tool to create and modify MC configurations. But it is used for trunk updates too indeed:

http://source.squeak.org/trunk/update-bf.147.mcm

Some people are using configurations even for their own packages. I find it more flexible and less cumbersome than MC's dependency mechanism.

- Bert -