[squeak-dev] Questions about parsing and orthogonal constructs....

K. K. Subramaniam kksubbu.ml at gmail.com
Tue Nov 2 16:58:30 UTC 2010

On Monday 01 Nov 2010 9:05:43 pm gi.joe wrote:
> My second question is what constructs in the language are NOT orthogonal.
> I'm not sure if there is a different term for this, but basically it means
> what constructs cannot be used within a construct of the same type.
In Smalltalk, every construct (i.e. constructed from primitive objects) is an
object composed from any other object or primitive. But implementations of
Smalltalk do optimize representations for performance. AFAIK, CompiledMethod
is one such object in Squeak. Inspect:
  CompiledMethod someInstance

and contrast that with any other object.

"Blue book", that Casey pointed out in an earlier post, is a must-read for a
project like yours.

Subbu