[squeak-dev] Collection's #fold: vs #reduce:

Levente Uzonyi leves at elte.hu
Tue Nov 2 17:16:03 UTC 2010

Hi,

we have these two methods which do exactly the same thing. #reduce: was
added by Andreas during the developement of Squeak 4.1. #fold was added by
Eliot for Cog VMMaker compatibility. One of them is superfluous. I can
image the following solutions:

1) Replace senders of #fold: in VMMaker to use #reduce:, and remove
#fold: from the image.

2) Replace #fold:'s implementation to self reduce: aBlock. I benchmarked
the two methods and #reduce: is a bit faster on CogVM. There's no
difference on SqueakVM.

Cheers,
Levente