[squeak-dev] [ANN] DesignInfo on SqueakSource

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Thu Nov 11 12:32:58 UTC 2010

Thank you Torsten for taking the time to answer and reminding me of
the method #openInWindow.

On 11/11/10, Torsten Bergmann <astares at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>
>>Does the graph show up in a SystemWindow? It would be nice if it does.
>
> beside opening a morph in the world using #openInWorld you can
> also use #openInWindow in Morphic to put a window around a morph.
>
> Example for design info:
> ========================
>
> |info|
> info := #('HelpSystem' 'Kernel') collect: [:each | DesignInfo packageNamed:
> each].
> (DesignInfo linesOfCodeMorph: info) openInWindow setLabel: 'Compare'
>
>>I'd like us  add a reference to your code in the help menu (probably
>>in a new workspace) so that people can get some 'architecture'
>>information --- we need to add some text.
>
> What does LOC (lines of code) really say about the architecture of
> a system or package? IMHO nothing really usefull.

This depends on how you look at it.
It does not tell us everything but it tells us more than just having a
look at the package pane in a SystemBrowser.

It tells us which packages are involved and what "weight" they have.

It is about a graphical inventory of packages.
Or a kind of simple version (reduced by at least one dimension) of a code city.
(see University of Lugano, google for code city Smalltalk Lugano and
you get quite some things)

Of course we would like to have more like a package dependency graph.

> If you want to analyze your Smalltalk program just use Moose:
>
>    http://www.moosetechnology.org

Sure, but this is an additional effort.
Last time I tried to analyze Squeak I could not do it within the three
hour frame I had.
I hope that others are more successful.

The contribution by Bernhard Pieber is a light 'instant' solution
which gives us something quickly.

> It contains better visualizations like system complexity and others.

Sure.

> Just read the moose book:
>
> http://www.themoosebook.org/book/externals/visualizations/system-complexity

Thanks for pointing this out. I a member of the moose mailing list and
have asked some questions regarding Glamour and I worked with
Mondrian. Mondrian comes with a tutorial which helps you to get
something done withing 20 minutes. However it is not for Squeak
(yet?), so the analysis is for Pharo.

> Have fun
> Torsten

Yes, indeed :-)

I think Squeak and friends are moving on good this days ......

--Hannes