[squeak-dev] SimpleMorphic

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Nov 11 13:28:20 UTC 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 02:46:54PM -0300, Juan Vuletich wrote:
> Hi Folks,
>
> A few days ago I released SimpleMorphic for Pharo. SimpleMorphic is the
> Morphic implementation in Cuis. It is much smaller and simpler than the
> one in Pharo (and in Squeak). Please see
> http://lists.gforge.inria.fr/pipermail/pharo-project/2010-November/035302.html
> . A link to the code (for Pharo 1.2) is included.
>
> While this release of the code is for Pharo, it shouldn't be a big deal
> to make it run on Squeak. My hope is that the Pharo community studies it
> in detail, adopts it, and eventually remove the old Morphic. For Squeak,
> maybe the same happens. Or perhaps there would be 2 Morphic UIs for
> Squeak: FullMorphic+Etoys and SimpleMorphic... So, what do you think?

I expect that this will fit nicely into Squeak's project structure:

  Project
    MVCProjext
    MorphicProject
    SMxMorphicProject

So when you open a new project, the world menu would give the choice
of "mvc project", "morphic project" or "SMx morphic project".

I do like the the prefix "SMx" by the way. It can mean whatever you
want it to mean in the future, and I've learned that it is never a
good idea to have the term "simple" in a class name ;-)

Dave