[squeak-dev] <script language="smalltalk">

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Tue Nov 23 23:35:02 UTC 2010

On 11/23/10 3:05 PM, Igor Stasenko wrote:
> Hello,
>
> i just wanna know, what you thinking about subject?
> How easy/hard to integrate smalltalk VM into browsers? It it feasible?
> I know, there is (or was) a Squeak browser plugin. But it provides a
> functionality like java,
> but not like javascript.
> While i thinking, that it would be cool to use smalltalk directly in
> pages, as javascript.
> It could open quite interesting possibilities.
>
> What you think?

It should be easy to embed squeak into any arbitrary application, but
from all accounts its not nearly as easy as embedding, say, Lua. Which
is sad, because if I knew how, I would have embedded squeak into the
Second Life viewer years ago.

As far as squeak substituting for javascript goes, you'd have a lot of
security issues to address, which is one of the reasons why the squeak
plugin never took off, i believe. A friend of mine called it "a hacker's
dream" when they first introduced it 10+ years ago.

Lawson