[squeak-dev] OSX squeak crash: maximal size of image?

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Sun Oct 3 07:32:17 UTC 2010

Ok, I saw someone answer this, but let me comment anyway.

The mac os-x vm is set to 512MB from a historical viewpoint. When we used 1GB there was a tendency for the virtual memory manager to mapping it with a starting address of 2GB.
Before the VM was 32bit clean this would cause a crash.  However you'll find with a os-x carbon VM of 4.2.x or a 5.7.x  cocoa VM you should be able to allocate > 1GB
Now how much is a question?

I'd like to see that if on an os-x machine that is running 10.6.x with a 64bit kernel if you can allocate a image > 3GB ?   Usually you run into issues when asking for a chunk of
memory upwards of 2GB because a 32bit operating system has memory mapped hardware interfering with a clean 32bit address space.

Obviously under the 5.7 VM running with a 64bit image you should be able to address > 4GB of memory in an image, but as far as I know no one has attempted this.
You are welcome to try?

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882