[squeak-dev] Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Thu Oct 7 00:30:41 UTC 2010

Hi Yanni,

On Wed, Oct 6, 2010 at 5:03 PM, Yanni Chiu <yanni at rogers.com> wrote:

> On 06/10/10 6:43 PM, Lawson English wrote:
>
>> On 10/6/10 2:56 PM, Yanni Chiu wrote:
>>

>>> I've tried a "ton" of VM's, and I keep getting a failure in
>>> #primitiveSSLCreate. #listLoadedModules does not show any SqueakSSL
>>> (e). Unfortunately, since I don't have Snow Leopard, then I cannot run
>>> "Squeak 5.8b10.app" VM.
>>>
>>> So can you confirm which Mac VM you've got it working on?
>>>

>> The one listed under version 4.1 download in the upper right corner of
>> http://www.squeak.org: http://ftp.squeak.org/4.1/mac/Squeak4.1-mac.zip
>>

> Okay, that gets me a "Squeak 4.2.4beta1U.app" VM, which I've tried before,
> but I just tried again, and I get #primitiveSSLCreate failure again.
>
> Anybody have any idea what's going on? Here's what I've been doing:
> - in a Finder, I select the VM .app, and choose "Show Package Contents"
> - in the new Finder window, I navigate through Contents-->Resources
> directory, where I see a bunch of other plugin bundles
> - I copy the SqueakSSL.bundle directory from the download area, to the
> Resources folder
> - in an earlier download of SqueakSSL I was seeing '@' in the "ls" listing
> (i.e. extended attributes), but I don't see them anymore
> - Strangely, SqueakSSL.bundle has a folder icon, whereas the other plugins
> have a special icon, which requires another "Show Package Contents" in order
> to view its contents.
> - Then I drag the Squeak image onto the VM .app, and a Squeak world opens
> - I load WebClient and SqueakSSL via Monticello
> - this works, I get html content:
>    (WebClient httpGet: 'http://www.squeak.org') content.
> - this fails in #primitiveSSLCreate
>    (WebClient httpGet: 'https://openid.org/home') content.
> - I've tried running dapptrace, but the -U option caused the image the
> freeze
> - I don't know of any other way to get a trace of the system calls, since
> strace is not available on the Mac
>
> Any suggestions?

Have you checked that the plugin loads at all?  i.e. after you get the
failure of primitiveSSLCreate and you list plugins is the SSL plugin
included?  If not, then there's probably an undefined symbol and you may see
an informative error message on the console or maybe able to trace through
the plugin loading code to dlopen and get a useful error form that.

HTH
Eliot