[squeak-dev] Re: Anyone get the SqueakSSL plugin to work under Mac OS X Snow Leopard? Was Re: [ANN] SqueakSSL - a platform interface for SSL/TLS

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Fri Oct 8 17:35:21 UTC 2010

I sort of didn't understand Yanni's difficulty. I worked through the SSL
tutorial at http://squeakingalong.wordpress.com and I started to see it. I
have a solution, I think, as usual, it's sort of a hack.

It's predicated on the idea that modules don't load into the image until
they're needed. My solution is sort of to just shake the image. If you put
the bundle in the right place (ensuring that you don't house it in
SqueakSSL-bin file folder it came in) then it looks like this:

http://smalltalktelevision.com/ssl1.jpg

Then you try Smalltalk listLoadedModules and  it doesn't appear. It needs to
be primed at this point so try one of these or both:

    (WebClient httpGet: 'https://encrypted.google.com/') content.

    SqueakSSL google: 'squeak'

It complains. Save and quit. Restart. Then try Smalltalk listLoadedModules
again, and SqueakSSL plugin will appear in the list. If still not there,
prime again with the above in Workspace. Sufficiently shook, I proceed
through the blog tutorial and set this to accept:

http://smalltalktelevision.com/ssl2.jpg

It doesn't like that:

http://smalltalktelevision.com/ssl3.jpg

But I'm not disappointed. My knowledge of whether I'm supposed to feed it
the newkey.pem, newreq.pem or the demoCA/cacert.pem is not something I have.
Perhaps somebody could tell me which is supposed to be the "the .pem file
which must include both the certificate and the private key". With the
correct file offered up to the image, I think it's on its way.

Chris