[squeak-dev] [ANN] true unicode left arrows without clobbering underscores (cs)

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Sat Oct 9 09:16:09 UTC 2010

Michal,

Bitmap fonts are stored in instances of class Form. As a bitmap of
just the font height but wide contains all the shapes - one after the
other.

Then you have an index into this bitmap which tells where to start
copying and how wide the bitmap for a particular glyph is.

You would have to add the bitmap for the arrow at the end of the
bitmap and update the index and the map accordingly.

As Bert writes there seem to be two levels of mapping. One map from
Unicode to bitmap font index and the index contains the information
into the bitmap.

You basically have to figure out how bitmap fonts are implemented. If
I remember well there is quite some material on the Squeak wiki. And
googeling for
  Juan Vuletich DejaVu
might reveal some information which is helpful as well.
I assume the left arrow should have anti-aliasing as well.

And please add a preference so that people who prefer just to have
   :=
instead of the left arrow can maintain that.

Thank you for your work on this.

Your experience - in particular if properly documented - will be
helpful for adding other characters needed for mathematics or other
purposes.

--Hannes