[squeak-dev] Re: [vwnc] Xtreams : first embryonary port on Squeak

Nicolas Cellier nicolas.cellier.aka.nice at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 10:47:08 UTC 2010

2010/10/10 Michael Lucas-Smith <michael.lucassmith at gmail.com>:

>> I first attempted to replace #growToAtLeast: with #grownBy: because
>> Squeak become: is notoriously inefficient.
>> But obviously, this did not work, the tests rely on destination
>> preserving its identity.
>> This clearly is going to degrade micro benchmarks when the destination
>> collection capacity is not well adjusted in advance.
>> I think we should discuss this particular point. Is identity
>> preservation absolutely required, or just convenient ?
>
> Which tests? I'd be in favor of removing that assumption.
>
> Michael

This is in:

CollectionReadingWritingTest>>setUp
       | buffer |
       buffer := XTElasticBuffer on: ByteArray new.
       input := buffer reading.
       output := buffer writing.

The expectation is that the buffer will be shared between input and output.
If output modifies a copy of buffer, then the tests fail (input is
empty or partial or too long if WriteStream>>#close did not perform a
#become: )

Nicolas