[squeak-dev] Experimental Cocoa OS-X based Squeak Cog JIT VM 5.8b12

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Mon Oct 11 05:01:32 UTC 2010

I've stuck a version (5.8b12) of the cocoa based os-x squeak cog JIT based VM in my experimental folder.

http://homepage.mac.com/johnmci/.Public/experimental/Squeak%205.8b12.app.zip

This is based on the latest Cog VM source (oct 10/10/10).

Changes to the support logic:

(a) Supply file create/mod times & size based on target of symbolic link versus the link file node.
(b) Untrusted directory was set wrong, use same default value as 4.2.x VM ~/Library/Preferences/Squeak/Internet/My Squeak/
(c)  There is no -pathenc option
(d) Attempt to integrate changes into Cog branch to allow you to compile VM from the Cog branch.
*** This does not work yet, 90% there, Eliot and I still have some pencil sharping to do...  ***

Now the big news is that I pushed a version of the Squeak Cog stack VM to the Apple App Store!

It's rough, but it's a candidate for review by Apple's special App review committee. It does not have socket support and we are seeing if they
allow us to move image/change files in and out of the Documents folder via a desktop machine.  I should know more by next weekend.

If accepted then I am looking to the Smalltalk community to help in building a viable image to allow people to edit source code on an iPad.

Lastly, yes something broken in open/gl on os-x 10.4 I hope to look at the issue this week.

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882