[squeak-dev] Global Smalltalk Image

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Mon Oct 11 11:39:47 UTC 2010

Hi Askoh

I think it is a good idea though not easy to implement --- or probably
only to a certain extend.
A Global Image has a lot of code to learn from (positive and negative....).
You give many more good reasons.

I assume you might not have watched the efforts of Edgar closely where
he tried to load many projects into FunSqueak (based on trunk). Just
search the mailing list for the last two months.

A recent image is here.

http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments/FunSqueakCog4.2-10577-alpha.9.zip

Edgar has quite a number of interesting things in there but as well
quite a number of incompatibility problems have surfaced during this
process.

As others have pointed out there will be incompatibility problems but
the fact is that these problems will only surface if people actually
try to build a "Global Smalltalk Image".......

So, please go ahead and build one which suits your interests and share
it with us.....
There is more room in
http://ftp.squeak.org/Experiments

(It will probably not be "Global" but the aim is going into that direction).

HTH
--Hannes