[squeak-dev] About squeak and etoys internationalization - possibly also feedback

Jecel Assumpcao Jr. jecel at merlintec.com
Mon Oct 11 17:09:36 UTC 2010

Paulo,

translation in Squeak has a very long and complicated history. The first
thing you must notice is that often the Etoys layer is treated as a
separate project from Squeak itself. Very early on a really crude
translation system was included in Etoys - it was basically just a
single method that would set up some arrays inside the image matching
the equivalent in English and in some other language. Paulo Drummond
used this resouce to translate all Etoys tiles to Brazilian Portuguese
back in 2005.

What I described above was exclusively for Etoys and didn't work for the
rest of Squeak. So Diego Gomez Deck created a much more sophisiticated
system which included special browsers and some new runtime methods. He
made it so his new system was compatible with the old Etoys one and it
was easy to upgrade Etoys to take advantage of the new features. This
system was officially adopted in Squeak 3.8. Looking at your
screenshots, my impression is that this is what you are using.

When Etoys became an important part of the OLPC project, it was decided
that the translation infrastructure used by the other OLPC subprojects,
Pootle, should be adopted by Etoys as well. The necessary changes to the
code were made and the Pootle project was created:

http://translate.sugarlabs.org/projects/etoys_new/

Most of the old translations were moved over to the new system (in 2006,
I think) and all work has happened there since.

There are many details which I don't know:

- are the new translations Etoys-only or are Smalltalk level stuff
included?
- does Squeak 4.1 include only Diego's system or has the Pootle code
been merged?

I hope that the people more directly involved with this will reply to
you. Most translation discussions happen in the etoys-dev list rather
than here, however.

-- Jecel