[squeak-dev] What are we leaking in the www.squeak.org process?

Janko Mivšek janko.mivsek at eranova.si
Thu Oct 21 08:35:50 UTC 2010

Hi guys,

To add few words to what Herbert already said: in Aida image is
"breathing" in memory, which means that when user come to the site, a
new session is open and stays open until explicitly closed. Explicit
closing of nonactive anonymous (not loged-in) sessions occurs every hour
and in that moment in-image memory jumps down to around 70MB on a
squeak.org image. A forced GC is also done that time. Image is also
snapshoted to the disk.

Every night we also do even more cleanup, yb removing an application
state of logged-in sessions as well, but those are just few (from us
editors of the website).

So from in-image standpoint Aida is doing its job, we just don't know
now, why from OS standpoint memory consumption is growing and not
"breathing" as in-image memory do.

--
Janko Mivšek
AIDA/Web