[squeak-dev] Squeak hang at full cpu - help

Alain_Rastoul alr.dev at free.fr
Thu Oct 21 17:53:04 UTC 2010

Hi Everybody,
I have a standard squeak 4.1 with seaside 3.0 preloaded under Windows XP
(seaside 3.0 rc OneClick Image) with FFI, ODBC packages installed and a very
memory intensive application who load data from a MSSQL server and hash it
into dictionaries.
It is running in a process started at systemBackgroundPriority, and is
launched with a MessageTally spyAllOn:.
After running a few minutes it hangs up at full CPU, and I can't see what is
going on, everything
is hung (no Ctrl., no mouse)
When I open the debug console and dump processes I see only few processes
(MessageTally>spyEvery:on:,
handleTimerEvent, userInterruptWatcher, lowSpaceWatcher) but no UI process
and no app process.
I tryed to put halts in code but it doesn't change anything.
I noticed that it occurs when the memory usage is about 99% (I see it with a
MemoryUsageMorph ticking),
but not allways at the same time, it can load 10k, 20k or 30k rows before
hanging.
If I remove the MessageTally, it ran several times without hanging.
I don't see any direct relation between MessageTally and hanging the VM
(allocations / GC ?)
I will try to generate and compile the vm with MSVC if I can (I can't test
my app under linux)

What is the way go with this kind of problem ?
Any help, tip for debugging, advice, idea, remark (...) are welcome.
Thanks in advance

Regards,
Alain