[squeak-dev] Re: Squeak hang at full cpu - help

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Fri Oct 22 17:47:14 UTC 2010

Ok, if you don't have

Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit:  "some magic number in megabytes"
Smalltalk setGCBiasToGrow: 1.

Then you can enter into a situation (unlikely) where the amount of free space is just less than enough to
make the image grow, but enough to make the software do a full compaction. Think of it as a grey zone you
approach if you can pass thru it promptly the image will grow, if your movement is just not correct then then
you wander in the grey zone for days... The setGCBiasToGrow: alter that behavior so we pound thru the grey
zone until we've allocated setGCBiasToGrowGCLimit: where we must do a full compaction (expensive).

However what's more likely is that you actually run out of memory, this is a I believe on windows 512MB?
Other platforms may cap by default at 512MB or 1GB depending on the VM and it's default settings.
For non-windows platforms you can use the instructions "found somewhere?" to alter the default setting.

What happens in this case is when you approach the final bits of free memory via the hard upper cap the
VM will enter a endless cycle of doing GC work and finds just enough free memory measured in kilobytes to
to make another GC cycle attempt.   If you are lucky this pattern will fail by the failure to allocated a needed
method context and the VM will crash.

I can only suppose that MessageTally  requires memory to run, is it statically bound? Or will it's memory
needs grow forever?

John M. McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com>   Twitter:  squeaker68882