[squeak-dev] [Cuis] documentation glitch

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Thu Sep 2 01:38:40 UTC 2010

I just downloadedd http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Cuis2.6-0540.zip and
unzipped it on Debian GNU/Linux (stable release).  The
Cuis2.6ReleaseNotes.txt file does not display properly when I use more.
The start looks like this
ross at corn:/usr/local/src/squeak/Cuis2.6$ more Cuis2.6ReleaseNotes.txt
Cuis Release notes - Only the most relevant Cuis specific changes are detailed here. To see all of them, browse the numbered change
s themselves, that are part of this release. Cuis official site is http://www.jvuletich.org/Cuis/Index.html .

- Several minor fixes and enitive by defaultes.for debugging.
ancements

New in Cuis 2.5
- Compatibility with the Cog VM

For example, "New in Cuis 2.6" and the first several points beneath it
has been eaten, and the displayed text is mangled.

In emacs I think I see all the text, though there are quite a few spots
that should be line breaks that instead display "^M" (without the
quotes).  I assume these are what messed up the display.  I don't see an
obvious difference between lines that end with ^M and those that simply
end and move on to a new physical line.

It does look as if the use of ^M has something to do with the particular
block of release notes: 2.6, 2.3 and 2.0 have them (though they have
some regular line ends too), and the others don't.

The problems may have something to do with the system being UTF8 based
(LANG=en_US.UTF-8).