[squeak-dev] Re: [Cryptography Team]Re:DigitalSignatureAlgorithm>>#initRandomNonInteractivelyisnot random

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Thu Sep 2 20:59:04 UTC 2010

On 9/2/2010 1:43 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
> Shouldn't we stay with the same naming convention, "Cryptography"?

Fine either way. Though the argument could be made that for
compatibility it might be useful to leave the current "Cryptography"
alone and have the new packages use slightly different naming
conventions, such that:

	Crypto + Certificates = Cryptography.

But like I said I'm good either way.

> What is the plan to deal with the redundant classes, such as
> SecureHashAlgorithm and SHA1?

The goal is to get them out of the System package and into the
Crypto-Core package to further reduce the size of System.

> If RSA is in Cryptography-Core, shouldn't ElGamal and DiffieHellman
> belong in core as well?

Could do. I'm not the expert here, so I'll let others comment. My main
dividing line is that the core should contain what is widely used and
practical (i.e., performs well enough to be used in practice). As a
consequence, MD5, SHA1, SHA256 are all obvious choices since they're
both widely used and perform well (with prims at least and we may
require that), whereas for example MD2, MD4 (outdated) and DiffieHellman
(WAY too slow) are not. RSA, on the other hand, is somewhere in the
middle - it performs reasonably well (we use it for key exchange in our
products) but one could easily argue that it's not a common enough
feature to be required in Core. Not sure on ElGamal.

But in any case, I think I'll leave this to the experts, which I think
is you, Rob and Ron :-)

Cheers,
   - Andreas