[squeak-dev] Re: [Cryptography Team]Re:DigitalSignatureAlgorithm>>#initRandomNonInteractivelyisnot random

Rob Withers reefedjib at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 21:22:31 UTC 2010

From: "Andreas Raab" <andreas.raab at gmx.de>
Sent: Thursday, September 02, 2010 4:59 PM
To: "The general-purpose Squeak developers list"
Subject: [squeak-dev] Re: [Cryptography
Team]Re:DigitalSignatureAlgorithm>>#initRandomNonInteractivelyisnot random

> On 9/2/2010 1:43 PM, Chris Muller wrote:
>> Shouldn't we stay with the same naming convention, "Cryptography"?
>
> Fine either way. Though the argument could be made that for compatibility
> it might be useful to leave the current "Cryptography" alone and have the
> new packages use slightly different naming conventions, such that:
>
> Crypto + Certificates = Cryptography.
>
> But like I said I'm good either way.

Me too.  Since we will continue to store Certificates package in the
Cryptography repository, I think it makes sense to rename to Certificates.

>> If RSA is in Cryptography-Core, shouldn't ElGamal and DiffieHellman
>> belong in core as well?
>
> Could do. I'm not the expert here, so I'll let others comment. My main
> dividing line is that the core should contain what is widely used and
> practical (i.e., performs well enough to be used in practice).

Currently in Core:

ARC4
MD5
DES/TripleDES
Rijndael(AES)
SHA1
SHA256
DSA/Generator/PublicKey/PrivateKey
RSA/Generator/Key/PrivateKey
ElGamal/Generator/PublicKey/PrivateKey
DiffieHellman
SecureRandom

(in Core-Utilities

Fortuna
PrimesFinder
primitive wrappers
other stuff)

Currently in Extras:

ARC2
MD2
MD4

> As a consequence, MD5, SHA1, SHA256 are all obvious choices since they're
> both widely used and perform well (with prims at least and we may require
> that),

We have prims, located in the Cryptography repository, for:

DES
DSA
MD5
SHA256

> whereas for example MD2, MD4 (outdated) and DiffieHellman (WAY too slow)
> are not.

Andreas, I use DiffieHellman for key exchange in my system.  It is
considered slow?  It is a one time use in a connection...

> RSA, on the other hand, is somewhere in the middle - it performs
> reasonably well (we use it for key exchange in our products) but one could
> easily argue that it's not a common enough feature to be required in Core.
> Not sure on ElGamal.

How do you use RSA for key exchange?

> But in any case, I think I'll leave this to the experts, which I think is
> you, Rob and Ron :-)

That's what I got,
Rob