[squeak-dev] Re: [Documentation] What about package comments?

Ralph Johnson johnson at cs.uiuc.edu
Fri Sep 3 17:59:58 UTC 2010

On 9/3/10, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> A package is a (sub-) instance of PackageInfo. Packages are held by PackageOrganizer.
>
>  One idea would be to include a PackageInfo subclass in each package, and its class comment or methods would describe the package. That would hook into HelpSystem so one could browse comments, instructions, examples etc. per package.
>
>  There are a few conventions for that already, e.g. the class name should end in "Info" and it should be in a category named "PackageName-Info".

We could certainly include a PackageInfo subclass in a package.  But
Monticello wouldn't use it to make the instance of the package, would
it?

How should tools change to use this convention?  We could make a few
test cases (i.e. packages that contain a class like this) and then the
tool makers could use them to change their tools.

-Ralph