[squeak-dev] OSProcess and Cuis: successes and failures, cumulative changes

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Sep 3 23:55:36 UTC 2010

On Fri, Sep 03, 2010 at 02:35:53PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 16:22 -0400, David T. Lewis wrote:
> > > Here's the  code I put in ProtoObject
> > > ifNotNilDo: ifNotNilBlock
> > >       "RB adds for back compatibility"
> > >       "Evaluate the block, unless I'm == nil (q.v.)"
> > >
> > >       ^ ifNotNilBlock valueWithPossibleArgs: {self}
> >
> Duh.  I also need, in UndefinedObject in Cuis
> ifNotNilDo: aBlock
> 	"RB back compatibility"
> 	^ self
>
> Of course the right way is to change the OSProcess code to use something
> more portable than ifNotNilDo:.

Hi Ross,

I have updated both OSProcess and CommandShell on SqueakSource to address
all of the #ifNotNilDo: issues for Cuis, as well as the #fork issues that
you previously addressed. I think that I've captured all of your fixes.
Thank you *very* much for this.

I did not actually load into Cuis to check, but a lot of the issues
were in the unit tests so I expect they will run properly now (knock
wood).

And I have to give a grudging nod of appreciation to Juan for forcing
me to address the #ifNotNilDo: concerns. At first I was annoyed that I
had to rewrite a lot of code, but I have to admit that by the time I
was done I had cleaned out a lot of ugly cruft from OSProcess, so
I guess once again Juan has got it right :)

Dave