[squeak-dev] Quicktime player

Chris Cunnington smalltalktelevision at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 23:53:07 UTC 2010

OK, let me try another tack.

I'll approach this from what works. To recap:

SophieQuickTimeAudio openMovieFromURI:

should be a nice, simple way to start seeing some friendly functionality. It
fails. And it doesn't fail in Smalltalk. It goes right into the FFI C code.
It goes from here:

cachedQTClass := CPlatform current quicktimeInterfaceClass

to this:

cachedQTClass apiNewMovieFromDataRef: flags: id: handle: osType:

that leads here:

<cdecl: short 'NewMovieFromDataRef' (MacMovie* short MacShort* MacHandle
MacOSType ) module:'Quicktime.framework'>

and that's not Smalltalk. To me that says C and QuicktimeAPI. And as this
uses FFI to plug into the OS and the OS changes every month (unlike ten year
old Morphs), then a river of changes erodes Sophie a little each day.

So that way is not accessible to me. But how about this: if I drag the
"Compare and Contrast - Macbeth.sophie" file over the open image, then the
three movies appear. And they can be played. If you could answer these
questions, it'd help me get some purchase on what is working in the image I
have.

1. How do I bring back the haloes, so I can click to identify things and dig
into pieces?

2. Somehow the .sophie file is giving the image what it wants to find a
movie. But it's a thicket of XML. Is there something I could extract from
the .sophie file that I could execute in a workspace to make a movie play in
the World?

3. Where are the Play/Pause/Reverse buttons coming from? The must be in the
.sophie file, but where?

Answers to those questions would be a help.

Chris