[squeak-dev] Browser whitewash

Eliot Miranda eliot.miranda at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 01:00:39 UTC 2010

Hi All,

    while all these cool new browsers are great I get on well with the
standard browser and my multi-window hack around it.  But the multi-window
hack shows up one major weakness with the default Browser, and that is it's
use of list indices (systemCategoryListIndex classListIndex
messageCategoryListIndex messageListIndex).  These should just be
systemCategoryName, className, messageProtocol (categories are in
System-Organization; classes have protocols) messageSelector.  If this
happened the indices the browser has into the system would never become
obsolete as does happen for example when one adds a class to a category,
invalidating any classListIndex values into the same category,
or systemCategoryListIndexes as happens often when the SystemOrganization
changes on loading a package.  So if anyone is looking for a small useful
project, someone who probably has RB chops, how about reimplementing Browser
so that it is essentially unchanged except for the indexes being ripped out,
buried and stomped on?

If someone did this I'd get round to using menu pragmas throughout and
integrating the RB into the base Browser.

cheers
Eliot