[squeak-dev] Squeak browser plugin and JavaScript

Casey Ransberger casey.obrien.r at gmail.com
Mon Sep 6 17:52:25 UTC 2010

Rob,

Based on what you seem to want to do (the impression I get is that you don't want a morphic look/feel, so Lively Kernel won't work for you, and that says to me that what you want is at least DOM-based dynamic applications written in Smalltalk.)

If you have not already done so, I *strongly* recommend checking out the tutorial at

clamato.net

This is a Smalltalk variant implemented entirely in JavaScript by Avi Bryant. Or rather I think he bootstrapped it from Squeak using PetitParser (which is also worth a look if you're into PEGs.)

So anyway you get a "standard" web look and feel, it runs entirely in the browser, has an API reminiscent of Seaside, a not-finished JQuery implementation, and the clincher: a Smalltalk code browser right in the web browser.