[squeak-dev] Re: [Pharo-users] Vote for the best Smalltalk book of the last 5 years...

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Sep 7 08:10:42 UTC 2010

Ah, a good old-fashioned "Stefane Ducasse is pissed" post. Hadn't had
one in a while. You really need to *read* the Wikipedia article on
conflict of interest before sending one of your hate mails. Conflicts of
interest happen everywhere, to me, to you, to many people. The important
part is to recognize them and to act accordingly. Here is the second
paragraph from Wikipedia:

"A conflict of interest can only exist if a person or testimony is
entrusted with some impartiality; a modicum of trust is necessary to
create it. The presence of a conflict of interest is independent from
the execution of impropriety. Therefore, a conflict of interest can be
discovered and voluntarily defused before any corruption occurs."

It should be obvious that a person who is both organizer of a contest as
well as participant is in a potential conflict of interest situation. If
you recognize the conflict you can deal with it. It can be as simple as
being explicit that you expect others to spread the invitation, for
example by including "please redistribute this announcement as widely as
possible in the Smalltalk community".

Having said all that my original point still stands, namely that your
invitation of the Pharo community specifically to vote is a clear
expression of an unrecognized and unmitigated conflict of interest. You
need to learn to recognize such situations and to act less emotionally.
Conflicts of interests happen to all of us, they can be dealt with
calmly and reasonably. And I expect the president of ESUG to be able to
act in such a way.

Cheers,
   - Andreas