[squeak-dev] Re: Mantis status meanings

Hannes Hirzel hannes.hirzel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 7 15:03:11 UTC 2010

Andreas,

On 9/7/10, Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> On 9/6/2010 8:32 PM, Sean P. DeNigris wrote:
>> Ken Causey wrote:
...snip...

> The reality is that Mantis is completely overloaded with old crap. And
> we lack the man power to keep it current (if you're willing to help
> you're more than welcome). I think that what we should probably do is to
> just close all bugs older than two years to get a handle on it.

I support this proposal. We could just mark them as 'Expired' with a
note saying something like.

"This bug has not had any attention for more than two years so it is
considered to be 'Expired' and was closed. It might be that the issue
has been addressed in the latest Squeak 4.1 trunk image, it might as
well be that the issue is still open or it could be that it does not
apply anymore. If you are interested in this bug please do further
investigations and consider reopening it again".

 Or
> perhaps close 'em all and start over. The real problem with bug trackers
> is that if they're not kept current all the time they tend to simply
> overflow.

YES.

>> My only outstanding question is: should I not bother entering things in
>> Mantis and just upload to the inbox and be done with it?  That would be
>> simpler, obviously, but what's the most helpful?

Inbox is fine and we do not want to force people to use it. However
for documentation issues we (Michael, Casey, Sean and me) want to give
it a try. Our efforts have been modest so far but we want to do what
is possible with our time constraints.

BTW there is an RSS feed of open documentation issues
http://bugs.squeak.org/issues_rss.php?project_id=5&filter_id=947

> At this point, the most effective approach is likely to just upload to
> the inbox. Since uploads are posted here we see them (we don't see bugs
> on Mantis that are posted, fixed, etc. - one of the major shortcomings).
> If the fix looks all right you've got a chance it'll be in. And if you
> provide a test, you got a *good* chance it'll go in.

Yes.

Hannes