[squeak-dev] Re: Mantis status meanings

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Tue Sep 7 20:10:39 UTC 2010

On 07.09.2010, at 21:40, Casey Ransberger wrote:

> CC'd Etoys list.
>
> I was waiting for someone to say this. If people aren't using mantis, could it be that mantis is ill-suited to the current process?
>
> Maybe we don't need a bug database (I cringe, but it could be true.) Maybe we need a different tool, though.
>
> How is Jira working out for the Etoys crowd?

Not too well. It's not really suited to our needs. It seems geared toward tracking agile development with deadlines. But e.g. I can't set a ticket's status to "feedback needed" or "testing needed".  Or add a cc to some other developer (a feature I liked about Trac). While it may be an excellent tool for some, I find most of its features useless to us.

If I could easily migrate all the tickets with their history to a new tracker I'd be a happy camper. It's not so simple unfortunately, and also a lot of URLs would break. Some redirect magic might solve this but it's all work nobody has time to spend on, so for now we're stuck with it.

- Bert -